Rasam is a comfort food for most of the South Indians. And am no exception to that.
There are many varieties of rasam. Pineapple rasam is a very famous variety. It is generally a part of wedding feasts. It’s actually a delicacy. At home it’s made for special occasions.
I made this today after a very long time. I had a rare opportunity of sharing this with 2 of my best friends from school. They really liked it and that certainly made my day:)
Chopped pineapple – 1 cup
Chopped tomato – 2
Tamarind – goose berry sized
Sambar powder/ Rasam powder – 2 tsps
Cooked tuvar dal- 1/2 cup
Ghee- 1 tsp
Mustard- 1 tsp
Jeera ( cumin seeds)- 1 tsp
Hing ( asafoetida)- 1/4th tsp
Turmeric powder- 1/4th tsp
Jaggery – 1/2 tsp
Whole pepper – 1/2 tsp
Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste
Chopped coriander leaves- 1 tbsp
1. Soak tamarind in 1 cup of water for 30 mins.
2. Squeeze well and take the extract.
3. Add 1/2 cup of water to1/2 cup of chopped pineapple and grind to a smooth puree.
4. Mash the cooked tuvar dal well. Add 1 cup of water and dilute it well.
5. To the tamarind extract add chopped tomatoes, 1/4th
cup of chopped pineapple, turmeric powder, sambar powder, jaggery and salt to taste.
6. Crush the tomatoes with your hands.
7. Let it boil on a medium flame well till the raw smell of tamarind goes ( will take approximately 8- 10 mins). Keep the vessel covered while boiling.
8. Dry roast pepper and cumin seeds, cool and crush to a coarse powder.
9. Now add the mashed dal, 1/2 cup pineapple puree and 1/2 cup of water. Mix well and check for seasonings.
10. Let it simmer till it starts frothing. Do not let it boil.
11. Heat ghee in a pan. Add mustard. When it starts spluttering add jeera, hing, crushed pepper and cumin add the tempering to the rasam.
12. Add the tempering to the rasam, garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve hot with steamed rice drizzled with melted ghee:)
13. Add the remaining pineapple purée, chopped pineapple and coriander leaves and let it simmer for 1 more minute.
14. Serve the aromatic, hot pineapple rasam with steamed rice drizzled with melted ghee and some vegetable curry:)
Please check the Tamil video link to this recipe?
Please subscribe to my YouTube channel ?