Few weeks back, I made this Oats and Rava Paniyaram for breakfast. I generally make Rava and oats idli. That day, as I was preparing the batter for idli, I got this sudden idea of making it as paniyaram. Trusting my instincts, I went ahead and made them. Paniyaram came out with perfect texture, slightly crispy on the outside and melt in mouth centre and it tasted delicious. This is indeed a healthy, wholesome and a protein rich breakfast which can be made in a jiffy. It can also be served as a heathy evening snack.
My family really loved it and I hope that you all would like it too:)
Rava (semolina)-1 cup
Chopped onion- 1 cup
Chopped coriander leaves and curry leaves – 1/2 cup
Chana dal (Bengal gram/kadalaparuppu)-2 tsps
Urad dal( black gram/ulundhu)- 1 tsp
Hing(asafoetida/perungayam)- 1/2 tsp
Salt- To taste
Cooking soda-1/2 tsp
Oil-As much required to make the paniyaram
1. Peel, wash and chop the onion finely.
2. Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard. When it starts spluttering, add urad dal, chana dal and hing. Saute for few seconds and add the chopped onion. Saute till it turns pink and switch off the flame.
3. Add rava and oats and mix well. Add the yogurt and salt to taste and mix well. If its very thick, add little water ( 1/2?cup) and mix well.
4. Let it rest for 10 mins.
5. After 10 mins, add 1/4th cup water, asafoetida and chopped coriander leaves and mix well.
6. Add 1/2 tsp of cooking soda and mix it well just before making the paniyaram.
7. Heat the paniyaram pan. Add little oil in each mould and pour the batter. After the underside turns golden, flip it gently and cook till the other also turns golden.
8. Remove the paniyaram from the pan.
8. Serve the paniyaram hot with spicy tomato chutney or any chutney of your choice.