Thokku is one variety of chutney, very commonly made in most of the Tamil Brahmins household. It has a better shelf life than chutney and needless to say, little more oil is used in making thokku. There are many varieties of thokku, but my family’s most favourite one is tomato thokku. I make this very rarely as this is made exclusively by my mom. Whenever my daughter go to my parents home to stay with them, this is will be made and kept ready for her and of course, a parcel for the rest of us.
Today I made this as I could manage to buy some good tomatoes at very affordable price. This is a very versatile dish which can be served along with idli, dosa, roti, puri, upma, curd rice, almost any Indian dish.So, I am sharing my very simple and easy to make recipe for this delicious thokku. My family loved it. Hope you all would like it too:)
Tomato – 1 kg
Sesame oil – 7 tbsps
Turmeric powder- 1 tsp
Red chilli powder- 4 tsps
Salt – 3 tsps or to taste
Sugar – 1 tsp
Asafoetida- 1/2 tsp
Mustard- 1 tsp
Fenugreek seeds – 1/2 tsp
Sesame oil – 7 tbsps
1. Wash and drain the tomatoes. Cut and grind it to a purée.
2. To the purée, add salt, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, asafoetida and sugar and mix well.
3. Heat a heavy bottom pan and add oil.
4. Now add mustard and let it splutter. Once it starts spluttering, add fenugreek seeds and sauté.
5. Reduce the flame and add the tomato purée mixture and stir it well.
6. Check for seasonings.
7. Close the pan with a lid and let it cook on a medium flame till the mixture thickens and oil starts leaving the mixture.
8. Switch off the flame and let the tomato thokku cool down in the pan.
9. Transfer it to a clean and dry jar. It can be stored in the fridge for 2 weeks.
10. This tomato thokku can be served with roti, dosa, idli, Upma and steamed rice.
11. If your family is game for more unique dishes, this can be used as spread for sandwich, as a dip for snacks if mixed with yogurt or can even be used to make Upma:)
2 thoughts on “Tomato Thokku”
Excellent Anu, this is so simple and a quick recipe. And the best part is if we make a larger quantity, it can be stored for 2 weeks. This suits ppl who live away from homes, students who don’t have much time to cook different varieties everyday. All the ingredients used are healthy too. ????
Thank you for appreciating Prabhakar. Yes, it’s indeed a very versatile and a handy dish:)
Comments are closed.