Ram ladoo is not a sweet as the name suggests. It’s actually a very famous chat made with mixed lentils and served with a very unique radish leaves green chutney and garnished with grated radish.Yesterday, I made Ram ladoos, but served it not as a chat but as a subzi and served with hot phulkas. An innovation from my kitchen, it did come out really well and my family loved it. As always, like all my recipes, this also is a healthy and easy to make recipe.
Since this recipe requires deep frying as a cooking process, I want to share few points regarding the oil that can be used for deep frying.First we have to know about smoke point of fat. Smoke point of fat is the temperature at which smoke comes continuously from the surface of the fat. Different types of fats have different smoke points. And for deep frying, fat should be chosen based on their resistance to smoking at the temperature used.The temperature required for deep frying food is between 175 – 200 degree C. Oils with smoke point above this temperature are the most suitable for frying. That is why groundnut oil is very ideal for deep frying as it has a smoke point of about. 230 degree C. Also, it does not froths up while deep frying and it imparts a very good flavour and aroma.
I used Idhayam Mantra brand groundnut oil to deep fry the ladoos. Idhayam Mantra groundnut oil is cold pressed oil and a very known brand.
You can learn more about Idhayam brand and their products here?
For Ram Ladoo
Moong dal – 1 cup
Urad dal – 1 tbsp
Chana dal – 2 tbsps
Green chillies –
Ginger – 1 inch
Asafoetida- 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste
Idhayam mantra groundnut oil – for deep frying
For the subzi
Chopped onion – 1 cup
Cauliflower florets – 1 cup
Chopped capsicum- 1 cup
Chopped tomatoes- 1 cup
Grated radish – 1/2 cup
Chopped coriander leaves- 2 tbsp
Turmeric powder- 1/2 tsp
Red chilli powder- 1 tsp
Coriander powder- 2 tsps
Cumin powder- 1 tsp
Dry mango powder- 1/2 tsp
Chat masala – 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste
Idhayam sesame oil – 3 tsps
To make Ram ladoos
1 . Wash all the dals well and soak together for 2-2&1/2 hours.
- Drain the dal mixture and grind to a coarse paste along with green chillies, ginger, asafoetida and salt.
- Let the batter rest for few mins.
- Before deep frying the ladoos, beat the batter for 4-5 mins to make it light and fluffy.
- Heat groundnut oil in a deep, heavy bottom pan.
- When the oil is hot enough, pinch a portion of the batter and drop it gently into the oil.
- Fry the ladoos till it turns golden and crispy.
- Remove and keep it aside and fry rest of the ladoos in batches.
To make the subzi
- Heat sesame oil in a pan.
- Add cumin and fennel seeds and let it splutter.
- Add the onions and sauté till it turns pink.
- Add the cauliflower, capsicum, salt, turmeric powder, 1/4th cup of water, mix well, cover the pan and cook till the cauliflower turns just tender.
- Now add the tomatoes and rest of the masalas, mix well and continue to cook for few more mins.
- Once the vegetables are cooked, add the Ram ladoos and one cup of water, mix well, cover the pan and let it simmer for few minutes till all the flavours blend well and seeps into Ram ladoos.
- Check for the seasonings, add chat masala powder, grated radish and coriander leaves, mix well and let the subzi rest for few minutes before serving.
- Serve this hot , delicious and wholesome subzi along with phulkas or rice.
Please check here for a detailed video link for this dish?