Banana stem is known as vazhaithandu in tamizh. Banana stem, though called as a stem is actually stalk of banana flower. It has a very mild flavour and highly nutritious. It has very high content of dietary fibre, a rich source pf potassium and vitamin B6. It also has high water content.
Banana stem helps to relieve constipation, treat acidity, aids weight loss, is used, as a diuretic, for detoxification, to reduce blood pressure and cholesterol. It is basically a super ingredient to address all life style disorders. Banana is a tropical plant and hence available through out the year. It is also very pocket friendly. Including banana stem once or twice a week in our day to day will be very beneficial for health.
Best way to get the full benefit of dietary fibre is by consuming raw vegetables and fruits. There are many ways in which banana stem is cooked; poriyal, kootu, used while making adai, vadai etc, salad and pachadi. I made banana stem (vazhaithandu) pachadi few days back which became a big hit with my family. It had a very mild and soothing flavour, fresh and creamy and was a delight to the palate. Its easy to make and needs only very basic ingredients. Next time when you buy banana stem, do try this recipe.
|Chopped banana stem||1&1/2 cups|
|Salt||½ tsp ( or to taste)|
|Turmeric powder||!/4th tsp|
|Grated coconut||½ cup|
|Almond flakes||2 tbsp|
|Sesame oil||2 tsp|
|Split urad dal||1 tsp|
|Curry leaves||2 sprigs|
|Asafoetida (hing)||1/4th tsp|
|Preparation time||20 mins|
|Cooking time||3-4 mins|
- Wash, peel and chop banana stem.
- Store in salted water or buttermilk water till use.
- Grind coconut, almonds, ginger and green chilli to a smooth paste.
- Add salt, turmeric powder and ground paste to curd and beat it well till it becomes a smooth mixture.
- Add the chopped banana stem and mix well again.
- Heat oil. Add mustard.
- When it starts spluttering, add split urad dal, red chillies, curry leaves and hing.
- Add the tempering to pachadi, mix well and serve.
- Cucumber, onion, tomato or any other vegetable can also be added along with banana stem to make pachadi.
- If almond flakes are not available, whole almonds or cashews or peanuts can be used.
- If the curd is sour, add little milk to neutralise the flavour.
Watch my YouTube link to see cutting of banana stem and recipe👇