Rava Khichadi is a very famous dish from the South Indian cuisine. It is a simple dish and easy to make. Very delicious and colourful, rava khichadi is a wholesome dish and can be had as an anytime meal. As rava is easy to digest, it can be given to small children as well as elderly people. Though it is a simple dish, it can go wrong if the rava is not roasted properly or if the right amount of water is not added.
This is one of my most favourite and dish and I am excited to share the recipe with you all:)
Rava ( semolina) – 1 cup
Chopped onion- 1 cup
Chopped carrot- 1/2 cup
Chopped capsicum- 1/2 cup
Chopped tomato – 1/2 cup
Green chillies- 2
Curry leaves- 4 sprigs
Chopped coriander leaves- 2 tbsps
Lemon juice – 1/2 tsp
Coconut oil – 2 tbsp
Ghee – 1 tsp
Cashew nuts – 1 tbsp
Mustard – 1 tsp
Urad dal- 1 tsp
Chana dal- 1 tsp
Turmeric powder- 1/2 tsp
Salt – to taste
1. Heat a pan and dry roast rava till turns slightly golden red. Remove and keep it aside.
2. Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard.
3. Once mustard starts spluttering, add urad dal and Chana dal, chopped green chillies and curry leaves and sauté for few seconds.
4. Add the chopped onions and sauté till it turns pink.
5. Now add chopped carrot and capsicum and continue to sauté for few seconds.
6. Add tomatoes, turmeric powder and little salt and sauté.
7. Add 2&1/2 cups of water, mix well, check for the seasonings and add the required amount of salt. Let the water to simmer.
8. Once it starts simmering, turn off the gas and add the rava slowly and constantly stir to avoid lump formation.
9. Turn on the flame now, keep it low. Close the pan with a lid and cook for 3 mins.
10. Heat ghee and add cashew nuts and sauté till it turns golden.
11. Add the cashew nuts to the Khichadi and add chopped coriander leaves and lemon juice and mix well.
12. Serve the Khichadi hot with sugar or chutney or pickle or yogurt:)