Rasam rava upma
Rava upma is one of my most favourite breakfast dish. I have very fond childhood memories associated with this humble dish. Fortunately, my family is also fond of this dish, except my daughter. I make this often at home and since my daughter is not so fond of the traditional recipe, I have tried many variations while making rava upma. Many a times, I have used left over rasam to make rava upma. Few days back I had made this for breakfast and surprisingly, my daughter loved it and for the first time, I saw her relishing the upma. That’s when I thought that should blog this recipe as I feel it is one of the best ways of using left over rasam. So, without much ado, lets go the recipe.
|Rava (semolina)||1 cup|
|Chopped onion||1 cup (2 medium sized onions)|
|Curry leaves||2 sprigs|
|Coriander leaves||2 tbsps|
|Urad dal (ullundhu)||1 tsp|
|Chana dal (kadala paruppu)||1 tsp|
|Salt||3/4th tsp or to taste|
|Left over rasam||1 & ½ cups|
|Coconut oil||1 tbsp|
|Preparation time||10 mins|
|Cooking time||15 mins|
- Dry roast rava till it turns golden.
- Heat a pan. Add coconut oil.
- Add mustard. When it starts spluttering, add urad dal, chana dal, green chilli and curry leaves.
- Saute and add chopped onions.
- Add salt and continue to saute till it turns translucent.
- Now add the left over rasam and water.
- Mix well and let it simmer.
- When the water starts simmering, add the roasted rava.
- Stir the mixture continuously till it thickens to avoid lump formation.
- Cover and cook for five minutes on a low flame.
- Add ghee, mix well, cover again and cook for 2-3 mins
- Garnish the upma with chopped coriander leaves and serve the upma hot.
Check my YouTube channel for a video recipe
3 thoughts on “Rasam rava upma”
Thank you for appreciating 😊
Thank you for appreciating Ram😊
Comments are closed.