Sandwiches are one of the most ideal food for school lunch box, as a breakfast on the go, for picnics and even parties.
There are many types of sandwiches; open, closed cold sandwich, grilled, pinwheel. double decker or stacked, regular sandwich to name a few.
I made hung curd sandwich ( cold sandwich) for breakfast few days back. Sandwiches made with chilled hung curd are very ideal for summer. Generally, bread is not toasted to make this sandwich. The soft bread and creamy chilled hung curd will be very soothing and refreshing.
It’s an easy to make sandwich, delicious and sumptuous, protein and calcium rich and loaded with vegetables. It’s a complete meal and very ideal for everyone and specially for children who are very fussy eaters.
|Green chilli chopped
|Chopped mint leaves
|Chopped coriander leaves
|1/2 tsp ( or taste)
To make hung curd
- Spread a clean muslin cloth or cheese cloth over a strainer. Keep a vessel beneath the strainer to collect the water.
- Add curd, bring together the edges of the cloth, make a tight bundle and gently twist it to release the water in the curd. Tie the cloth using thread or rubber band,
- Pat it cloth bundle down gently, keep some heavy weight over it and keep it the fridge.
- Let all the water drain away from the curd. It will take few hours, at least 2-3 hrs.
- Open up the cloth bundle and gently scoop out the thick, creamy curd and transfer it to a bowl.
- Hung curd is ready now.
- To make 1 cup of hung curd, you will 2 to 2 cups of curd depending upon the thickness of the curd used.
To make the sandwich
- Add the hung curd, chopped vegetables, greens, green chilli, pepper and mixed to seeds to a mixing bowl.
- Mix everything together to make a creamy stuffing.
- Check the seasonings.
- Cut off the corners of the bread slices, spread butter on the slices.
- Place generous amount of filling on one slice, cover it another( buttered side down) and press gently.
- Drizzle some tomato ketchup over it and sprinkle some seeds.
- Cut the sandwich into 2 or 4 and serve it immediately with some ketchup