Popcorn or corn seeds are known as maize in English, makka cholam in tamil and makhai in hindi. Maize is a millet variety and is used extensively in many cuisines. The most popular dish made is popcorns. Makhai roti and tortillas are also made using maize flour.
Maize belong to millet variety and are good sources of protein and fibre. It is gluten free and hence as beneficial ingredient for those who are intolerant to gluten or get some discomfort due to gluten. Millets are also alkaline in nature.
Using combination of grains in our diet is good way which will provides us with all required nutrients.
Rava idli is a very famous breakfast dish and I make it very often at home. Corn rava and oats idli is a variation of the usual rava ildi. This is my own recipe, simple and easy to make as always. Idlis turned out to be very soft and delicious and had a beautiful warm colour. It looked like sunshine on the plate.
My family loved this idli. I am indeed very excited to share this recipe with all of you. Do try this recipe and I am sure you will fall in love with this simple, healthy dish.
|Corn rava||1 cup|
|Semolina ( rava)||½ cup|
|Coconut oil||4 tsps|
|Urad dal||1 tsp|
|Chana dal||1 tsp|
|Grated carrot||1/4th cup|
|Chopped coriander leaves||1/3rd cup|
|Cooking soda||½ tsp|
|Sesame oil||1 tsp|
|Preparation time||10 mins|
|Cooking time||20 mins|
- Grind corn rava and oats to a coarse powder.
- Heat coconut oil in a pan.
- Add mustard. When it starts spluttering, add urad dal, chana dal and asafoetida.
- Saute till the dals turn golden.
- Turn off the gas. Add corn rava and oats powder and semolina.
- Mix well till the mixture is evenly coated with oil.
- Add salt and curd and mix well.
- Cover the pan and let the batter rest for 10 mins.
- Meanwhile, grease the idli plates. Add water to the steamer and let it steam.
- Add cooking soda and half cup water to the batter and mix well.
- The batter will become light and frothy.
- Add coriander leaves and grated carrot and mix well.
- Fill the greased plates and steam the idlis for 12- 15 mins.
- Serve the hot, soft idlis with chutney and sambar.
Nutritive value of one portion
|Total fat||16.4 GMS|
|Total fibre||10 gms|