Mango rice is one of my most favourite variety rice. It is a speciality of South Indian cuisine, widely made in Tamilnadu, Karnataka and Andhra. This delicious mango rice requires only the basic ingredients available in south Indian kitchens and can be made in a jiffy. It is so easy to make that even a novice can make it well. It’s a good alternative for lemon rice and can be packed for lunch box, travel, be a part of festival menu or even party menu. It will certainly be a very refreshing change.
Mango rice is probably one of the best ways to utilize left over rice. Now, lets see go into the making of this, simple, but delicious mango rice.
|Cooked rice||5 cups|
|Grated mango||2 cups|
|Sesame oil||2 tbsps|
|Split urad dal||1 tsp|
|Chana dal||1 tsp|
|Roasted peanuts||2 tbsps|
|Curry leaves||2 sprigs|
|Turmeric powder||½ tsp|
|Salt||1 tsp (or to taste)|
|Preparation time||10 mins|
|Cooking time||10 mins|
| Keywords |
Mango recipes, variety rice recipes, easy to make, lunch box recipes
- Wash, peel and grate mango.
- Wash and chop green chillies and curry leaves.
- Wash, peel and chop ginger.
- Heat a pan. Add sesame oil.
- Add mustard. Once it starts spluttering, add split urad dal, chana dal and roasted peanuts.
- Saute and add green chillies, ginger and curry leaves.
- Continue to saute and then add asafoetida and turmeric powder.
- Mix well and then add salt.
- Mix well again and now add the cooked rice.
- Mix gently, take care not to mash the rice.
- Turn off the gas and then add the grated mango.
- With a gentle hand, toss the rice and grated mango.
- Serve the mango rice warm with some chips/ appalam/ papad and raita.
- Instead of raw rice, broken wheat(dalia), millets like varagu(kodo millet), samai(little millet) kuthiravali(barnyard millet) and rice flakes can also be used
- Quantity of raw mango used depends upon the sourness of the mango and the individual’s preference to sour taste. Accordingly, the quantity used can be increased or decreased. So, its better to taste the mango before using.
- Care should be taken while cooking the rice. The grains should not be sticky.
- Cooked whole pulses like chick peas, green peas, white peas, whole moong or masoor, etc or peanuts( boiled) can be added to make the dish protein rich and wholesome.
- Add the grated mango only after switching off the gas. Raw mango is rich in vitamin C which will be lost if mango is cooked.
Nutritive value per portion
|Vitamin C||53 mg|